#3) How do reality television shows such as The Bachelor/ Bachelorette, Average Joe, A Shot at Love, For Love or Money, etc. create cultural narratives about romance, courtship and marriage? How realistic are these narratives? To what extent do audiences buy into the "reality" of reality television?
I agree with Putnam and Batchelor that women on television are usually more criticized than me. There are definitely double standards present on television. Reality television has become more and more popular over the years. "Reality television has cruised right through fad status and emerged as an international phenomenon" (Batchelor 445). Batchelor makes a very effective argument on reality tv. He also states that "We are a nation addicted to our own self-importance" (Batchelor 450). I definitely agree with that. Every time you turn around, it seems that there is a crazy new reality show idea. From contestants on a island battling for money to having a few months to fall in love, these "reality" shows have caught the attention of the American public. However, how real are these television shows and what kind of morals/values do they show the younger generation? I am definitely guilty of falling into the demographic of reality tv show viewers. I find these shows, like The Hills and For Love or Money, to be entertaining and funny. At the same time, I realize that it's not always real and I wouldn't want my kids to be watching some of these shows. For example, I feel that shows like The Bachelor/Bachelorette, A Shot at Love, Rock of Love, Big Brother, etc. give a bad example of what romance and marriage is. They make kissing and being with one another seem so casual and insignificant, when I think it should be seen as something special. The narratives to these shows also are very unrealistic. Not many people have fifty guys/girls lined up to pick from. The television show that I picked to take notes on was The Office. Even though it is not a reality show and more of a sitcom, I think it mocks reality. It shows the double standards that take place in the workplace and in everyday life. It also shows the relationships the coworkers have with one another. The female characters of the show are constantly being hit on by one of the male characters. I feel that that's how it is on many of the current reality shows. I'm not really sure how much the general public really believes in these "reality" television shows. Personally, I think that many people enjoy watching them or why else would they keep coming up with new ones. However, I also feel that most people know that these shows are unrealistic or very scripted. How do you view reality television? Do you think they set bad examples for the younger generations?
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment