A lot of institutions perpetuate misinformation and mistreatment of racial groups because they believe the stories will draw attention. The more publicized a story is the more attention it draws. Some institutions don’t do their research and just use perceptions as facts about views of a majority and that can often spark controversy and interest to others.
I think white privilege is still sometimes invisible because that privilege isn’t always seen as white privilege but a goal that all races what to reach and just hold that privilege to the standard. Once other races reach some of the privileges that whites hold then it will become a different kind of privilege held by a bigger majority.
I definitely agree with Cristina when she said that racism is a hot topic in discussions. Racism is never a topic that anyone wants to bring up with friends or strangers. I feel that the way people view and interpret racism shows a lot about their life struggles and their personality. Awhile ago I was telling my friends about a recent story dealing with racism in the news and after I told them the story, most of my friends thought how stupid and racist some people could be but some took it as it being that person’s fault and how his mistake will stay with him. Most of my friends took it as a racist instance but some tried to blame the victim as if he really deserved the punishments.
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment