Sunday, September 14, 2008

Batman and Joker

I agree with Howard's assertion of the closeness of advertising with one's heart. Like the relationship between Batman and Joker, they can't live without each other (quoted from the Joker in the Dark Knight). In his article about advertising Olgilvy says of advertising being an "efficient way to sell," and the point is driven in everyday life. There are people who have stated to only watch the SuperBowl for the commercials. We, as Americans, have to come to love advertising in a way. When we're bored, we surf Youtube for funny commercials (well I have at least). Advertisements can shift popular culture. I'm sure everyone can recall the infamous Budweiser SuperBowl ad, the "Wasssssuppp?" ad. Tell me afterwards that you didn't see people imitating that ad? Perhaps you yourself participated in it. The fact is advertising is a part of our culture whether we realize it or not. Embrace it, and have fun with it.
Do you think advertisement has come to play too central of a role in popular culture? Is it more visible now, than in the past? Is there a means to measure it's affect on people?

No comments: