Sunday, September 21, 2008
Media Mirror
In general, I feel that the media portrays more of a perfect image then anyone can really live up to. For example, television shows like Gossip Girl or 90210 portray the size 2 girls, with a lot of money, and living an unrealistic life. They also portray all the guys to be rich and perfect. This isn't realistic and it gives young kids false images and expectations. In Carol Moog's article, "Media Mirrors", she explains how the media and advertisements affect our society. Moog says that "If the image of who we might be if we used the advertiser's product resonates with where we secretly, or not so secretly, wish we were-then there we are, consciously or unconsciously, measuring up to Madison Avenue" (Moog). I agree with Xihua that advertisers put these perfect images in their billboards, magazines, commercials, etc. that catch our attention. It's very rare to see a fair portrayl of what society is really like. However, there are ads like the Dove commercials who have plus size women in their ads. I definetely think there are advantages and disadvantages to the media. I think there are a variety of perspectives on what people think beauty is and that's portrayed in the media. Advertisements each have their own way on how they want to appeal to the American audience and how they want to reach out to us. In what ways do you think they do this??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment