Sunday, November 23, 2008
LGBTIQ and the Media
Media has come a long way in terms of showing the LGBTIQ community on television shows and movies. Gary R. Hicks also mentioned the improvement of positive images of the LGBTIQ community in the media, "It is undeniable that gay men and lesbians have become more visible in society than at any time in the past, and that much of that visibility can be seen as a positive" (Hicks 396). So how often and in what light are LGBTIQ persons represented in the media? Like I stated, it has become less of a rare occurrence to turn on the television and see them on television shows or even commercials. For example, one of my favortie TV shows, Will and Grace, features two homosexual men as their main characters. It lasted about 8 seasons and is one of the most popular sitcoms in history. Also, popular talk shows like Ellen Degenneres represent the lesbian community and represents them in a positive light. Even shows like Grey's Anatomy that don't really focus on that angle include storylines invovling the LGBTIQ persons. They are not solely represented as gays and lesbians, but also as transgenders and bisexuals. Like everything else in the media, the representation of this community varies among the shows. Will and Grace featured the stereotypical homosexual man and the less stereotypical and obvious homosexual man. For the most part, stereotypes of the LGBTIQ are shown in the media. The gay men are usually sassy, the best friend, feminie, and more girly while lesbians are shown as either "lipstick" lesbians (Like on One Tree Hill) or seen as "butch." Bisexuals are mostly represented on reality shows like A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila or America's Next Top Model. I agree with Kathyrn which she says that bisexuals are seen as more outrageous and abnormal because of the way the media depicts them. I also agree with her when she says that the trangender community are not very prominent in the media. The gay and lesbian community are usually shown for often and in a more positive light than the bisexual and transgender community who are mostly shown in a negative light. I definitely think there are ways in which more visibility in the media hurt and help the LGBTIQ causes. As Hicks stated, "The mass media provide, as Gross (1994) suggested, a "common ground" from which members of a diverse culture can derive shared meanings and basic understanding of how the world works, of how things are" (Hicks 394). I think that we use the media as a compass more than we would like to think. It helps to shape our views and understandings of other cultures. In general, I feel that it helps the LGBTIQ community to be seen in the media. People like Ellen represent this community in a positive light and she is loved and admired by many. There are shows like Tila Tequila that provide a setback since they are so exaggerated and unrealistic, but I think that in the end it benefits the LGBTIQ community to be so prominent in the media. I don't feel that all heterosexuals will agree or accept this "sneaky propaganda" but I do think that there has been an increase in acceptance. What do you think? Do you think LGBTIQ persons will continue to increase their visibility in the media or is this as far as it will get?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment